Eiger Biopharmaceuticals is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing and commercializing novel products for the treatment of Orphan diseases. Eiger has built a diverse, late-stage portfolio of well-characterized product candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, a novel biology for treatment has been identified, and for which an effective therapy is urgently needed. The Eiger management team has extensive experience in the clinical development and commercialization of a broad range of therapeutics, with special expertise in Orphan Designation drugs. Eiger is located in Palo Alto, California.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is responsible for liaising with internal and external customers and providing medical and scientific information on the appropriate utilization of specific Eiger products. They will offer field insights and be experts in the therapeutic and disease state area. This field-based position will build healthcare provider support, leveraging a scientific approach that is aligned with medical affairs objectives and therapeutic area medical plan. The MSL will be a credible representative of Eiger BioPharmaceuticals in their interactions with KOL’s.
The job involves cultivating and maintaining relationships with academic researchers and leaders, large community research centers and organizations, attending conferences and talks, and engaging in scientific exchange with physicians and other healthcare professionals. This position will require extensive travel often involving weekends. The MSL will work closely with medical affairs team members executing the therapeutic product development process and translate insights, academic information, and congress data. They will strategically prepare and support the development, launch and commercialization of Eiger products through scientific exchange, seeking external insight to shape Eiger’s understanding of the therapeutic environment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following abilities or characteristics:
- Developing relationships with health care professionals, and providing them with credible, fair balanced, scientific information about Eiger and its products, research activities, and Eiger product development.
- The MSL will be a major source of balanced medical information for HCP’s.
- Territory planning will be a key activity. This plan will be dynamic with respect to the molecule, molecule life cycle, therapeutic area, and territory. The MSL will liaise with key internal stakeholders to build a comprehensive action-oriented plan.
- The MSL will be a therapeutic area and product expert. This will be evidenced by regular review of relevant literature, participation in scientific congresses and conferences, including Eiger therapeutic area training sessions to maintain current knowledge, and to develop competitive intelligence on other products in the therapeutic area.
- The MSL will play a role in internal training and communication with the medical, brand team, and territory managers. Knowledge sharing, including KOL and site profiling, and education both internally and externally will be a key area of responsibility.
- The MSL will assist the medical affairs and clinical development teams in the identification of potential investigators and research projects. This may include assistance with investigator sponsored trial process, sponsored study site identification, recruitment strategies, and collaboration with clinical operations.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills (including ability to network). —Able to participate in a scientific dialogue with KOL’s and researchers.
- Excellent teaching skills and ability to present and discuss scientific material clearly and concisely.
- Proven ability to create and sustain relationships with industry leaders.
- Skilled in clinical research and an understanding of the process of pharmaceutical product development and approval.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and work effectively with minimal supervision in a constantly changing environment.
- Willing to travel at least 50-70% of the time. Evening and weekend work will be involved.
- Able to function in a highly regulated environment and to adhere to all Eiger guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOP’s), while responding to questions and requests from health care professionals.
- Ability to work independently and to converse on a peer to peer basis with HCP’s.
- Pharma/Biotech experience in hepatology and rare disease therapeutic space.
- Experience working in a competitive market.
- Pharmaceutical business, market knowledge, and experience considered an asset.
- Thorough knowledge of the healthcare system, disease management and medical research.
- Ability to understand and summarize clinical trial reports and papers. Ability to research scientific literature, and write reports, papers, and research protocols.
- Solid understanding of GCP and ICH guidelines. Current working knowledge of US legal, regulatory, and compliance regulations and guidelines relevant to industry interactions with health- care professionals.
- Critical thinking ability.
- Ability to handle objections and manage issues presented by HCP’s.
- Ability to effectively work, function, and contribute with cross functional teams.
- Proven ability to use IT tools and interface effectively with a wide variety of technical platforms.
- Hepatology or gastroenterology clinical practice experience and existing KOL relationships strongly preferred.
- Rare disease experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2-4 years in Medical Science Liaison (MSL) role or relevant clinical practice setting highly desired.
- Prior experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries considered.
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Advanced degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, or equivalent) within a scientific discipline or health-related field required.
Please send resumes to email@example.com
Eiger offers an excellent compensation package including competitive compensation and benefits package. Regular full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
Eiger’s group health plans includes medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance. The plan offers HMO and PPO options that provides comprehensive medical coverage.
Life Insurance/AD&D and Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance
Employees are covered by group life insurance through the company and also for accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Employees are also offered the opportunity to purchase voluntary life insurance at competitive rates for themselves and their family members.
Short-Term Disability and Long-term Disability
The Company provides a policy that may replace up to 66.67% of your salary, up to a maximum benefit of $2,308 per week, for qualifying disabilities, for up to a maximum benefit of 180 days.
The Company provides a policy that may replace up to 66.67% of your salary, up to a maximum benefit of $10,000 per month, for qualifying disabilities. A waiting period of 180 days will apply.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The EAP is available at no cost, even if you don’t enroll in Eiger group benefits. You and your family members may access free, confidential counseling and referral services. This program provides 24-hour confidential assistance with personal, family and work-related concerns – plus online resources.
Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Spending Account
FSAs help you pay for eligible out-of-pocket health care and dependent day care expenses on a pre-tax basis. You determine your projected expenses for the Plan Year and then elect to set aside a portion of each paycheck into your FSA. For the 2012-2013 Plan Year you may contribute from $200 to $5,000 to each FSA
Pre-Tax Commuter Benefits:
The commuter benefit plan allows you to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible commuting costs, such as expenses for parking, public transit and alternative forms of transportation. Passes can be delivered right to your home, or you can simply submit monthly receipts for reimbursement
Eiger provides its employees with ten paid holidays and two floating holidays per year.
During the first three years of continuous, full-time employment, Eiger employees accrue five hours of vacation per pay period, up to a maximum of 120 hours per year. After three years of service, employees earn 160 hours per year. The maximum amount of vacation that may be accrued is 160 hours.
*The information contained herein is for informational purposes only and subject to change without notice. This document is just an overview.
If you are interested in developing a recruiting relationship with us, please send your company information including references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Eiger BioPharmaceuticals, Inc.
350 Cambridge Ave, Suite 350
Palo Alto, CA 94306